Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Normality

What does it mean to be "normal"?

Everyone's idea of normal is different, especially when it comes to health. Who's to say how the word 'normal' is defined. Maybe those that write the definition aren't 'normal' themselves.
The Webster dictionary defines 'normal' (as an adjective) as:

conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern

and as a noun as:

a form or state regarded as the norm

What might be normal for some, would be considered abnormal for others, so how can it be defined?
So if that's the case, then.... there is no "normal".

When I go for my infusions every 6 weeks, the nurse asks me how I've been feeling, how often I go to the bathroom, if I've been to Emergency, etc. and I always answer the same way, "everything is normal, for me".

Every 12 weeks I get blood work done and I view my results online the next day. The results fluctuate a little here and there, but that's 'normal', for me. Sometimes I have a couple of low counts, but again, that's 'normal', for me.

What irks me the most is when I'm in hospital during a flare, or kidney stones, or abscesses, or fistula's, or dehydration, or, or.... and the doctor comes back to me with test results as 'normal'. I'm anything BUT. I'm not sure what they are comparing the results with, because if I'm in the hospital, I'm there for a reason (as I'm a procrastinator) and not 'normal', even for me.

I think there needs to be a redefining of the word 'normal'.

Maybe me and my condition are 'normal' and everyone else is 'abnormal'.....


No comments: