Sunday, August 12, 2018

Missing a Family Trip......again

One thing I've learned after over 30 years of having Crohn's, plans are never "confirmed". Take this past week for instance. A few weeks ago we planned a small trip for 3 of 4 days to visit some family and take in the sites.  A "stay-cation" so to speak. We had planned to leave on Tuesday evening and had reserved our spot on the ferry and everything was on track for that to happen. I came home from work and was waiting for her while getting everything ready to load up the car.  We were about 30 minutes or so from heading out when I had the sudden feeling I needed to go to the bathroom and then like I was going to be sick. There's no weirder feeling then sitting on the toilet and needing to be sick. Right away I knew I had a blockage. So immediately I started to think, "what the hell did I eat today that would have caused this?" Then the pain started right under my rib cage and that confirmed it for me, plus the fact even though I had the urge to go to the bathroom, nothing was coming out.
Now came the dilemma. Do I still go on the trip and run the risk of more happening? Talked with my wife and we decided that I would stay behind and meet up with them the next day or two because I really wanted to go, but at the same time don't want to take any chances.
By the next day though, I had been sick, in pain, stopped eating, couldn't go to the bathroom, didn't sleep and now my peri anal abscess got bigger. Needless to say, I didn't go the next day either....or the next.....or the next. I got alot of rest though, but its not the same as spending time with the family.
It didn't start getting better completely until Friday and by then it was too late as they were coming back Saturday.  I hate missing out on family outings. What I hate the MOST is the unpredictability of Crohn's.
Never did figure out what I ate to cause a block, but when I really thought about it, I might not have done anything.  I could have just had a flare which caused some inflammation leading to a block.  You just never know with this disease. It's like, Crohn's is inside me with some buddies of his (or her), sitting around chit chatting, when Crohn's gets up and says "watch this...."  And 'boom' I'm down.
But, not out.

No comments: