Monday, March 13, 2017

Oops.......Crohn's Did It Again!

Last week, my wife and I were trying to figure out what to do for the first week of spring break with the kids.  First we thought maybe head up to Edmonton, Alberta to visit family and they could see the West Edmonton Mall....but after talking with my cousins, the weather would still probably be snowing and the thought of driving through the Rockies in the snow, just wasn't that appealing to me.  Next we thought we'll head to London, Ontario, again to visit with family.  But alas no..for the same reason, snow.  Good thing too, big snow storm going through there right now.  We finally decided on staying within the province and head over to Vancouver Island and Victoria to see her family and take the kids to the "touristy" places like the Royal BC Museum, Craigdarroch Castle, The Bug Museum and Miniature World.

But that was a week ago....

We all should have left on the ferry this morning but only my wife and kids were on it and I am home laying on the couch typing this post.  Crohn's did it to me again.
About 4 days ago my peri anal abscess decided to come by for a visit.  I was hoping it would have calmed by the time we would have to leave but here I am.  It got worse each day and then finally started to drain...I was hopeful.  But it was just toying with me.  I stopped eating and switched to liquids in a desperate attempt to calm my intestines down enough to relax the abscess.  To no avail.  But, it hasn't got worse.  Nor has it got better.
Yes, I could have taken the chance and gone but if it got worse, it wouldn't be fair to my wife and kids if I was laid up in the hotel room.  It's difficult to walk, sitting is an adventure in itself, not to mention I'm just tired and exhausted probably because my body is busy fighting what's going on inside.  So I made the difficult decision to stay behind and rest, or try to.  I was looking forward to going.
It goes to show you that with this disease, plans are always "tentative", never final (for me anyway). One day everything is going along as normal as normal can be with Crohn's, then the next, it comes back to say "hello".  Just enough to remind you that it's there.  Waiting.  Ready to pounce.  Any time.

No comments: