Monday, June 10, 2013

Hitting The Wall

"In endurance sports such as cycling and running, hitting the wall describes a condition caused by the depletion of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles, which manifests itself by sudden fatigue and loss of energy."

Now, I have never run a marathon or competed in the Tour de France, but it sure feels like it sometimes.....like today for instance.  You know that feeling...where your mind says keep going and your body says yeeeeah, right, I don't THINK so.
I work as a general maintenance technician....that's the fancy description for jack of all trades.....and I pretty much "do" anything I can to help the complex I work in (250+ townhouses), well...basically....function.  You name it, I've pretty much done it, or tried it.  I'm a garbage man, IT tech, painter, electrician, mason, brick layer, carpenter, landscaper, politician, etc., etc.  I have a great boss, that has an understanding of my disease and tries to accommodate me the best she can.  I've worked there for 10 years now, but recently I've been slowing down a bit and have changed my duties a little, to less of the heavy work to more lighter duties. 
I have less than 2 days til my Remicade infusion and I have been getting tired lately.   Everything was going pretty well today until about 230 - 3pm, when I basically "hit the wall".  I had to sit down, I was tired, out of breath, had to have something to drink....in essence - exhausted.
She sent me home a little early - I needed to lay down and rest - to recharge.
It was the weirdest feeling, and yes, I've felt it before, but I've noticed that as I get closer to infusion day, I get tired.  BUT even after infusion, the infusion itself is exhausting, and I'm still tired.
I've started on these new protein bars for Crohn's sufferers, the SimplyBar, but I've only had a few and I'm hoping the high protein will help, the more I eat.

So, when you get sooooo tired you have to take a break, do it.  Get a drink, eat something and rest.  It's your body saying, "HEY! I'm getting tired here, can we stop now, please?!"

No comments: