Friday, June 15, 2012

Sugar and Malabsorption

I've been reading this book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall and I'm finding it very interesting as far as eating is concerned. 
Now, granted, there are alot of things in this book I cannot eat, as many of you will also find, but the one chapter I found very interesting was Chapter 5 on carbohydrate digestion.  Especially sugar.  I didn't realize that having my two milk three sugar medium Tim Horton's coffee was causing me alot of problems as far as digestion goes.
Single sugars - good.  Double sugars - bad.
So I have cut out adding sugar to anything and substituted honey.
Seems double sugars remain undigested in the intestine and draw out water, mix with the nutrients you are trying to absorb, and then are lost down the toilet.
Great read for us malabsorpers.  I haven't quite tried any of the recipes inside, but I will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this incredibly interesting. I shall read the book also. :)

Vern Laine said...

Yeah. I thought I knew alot about Crohn's and eating....boy was I wrong on some things. It's a great read.