Saturday, October 5, 2024

Ostomy Awareness Day

It was 4 years ago this month that I had my second ostomy surgery. I had a temporary loop ileostomy in September to divert stool from my rectum so my perianal disease could heal. I was suppose to have this temporary one for a few months but I was losing too much liquid and my kidneys couldn't keep up. I was in "acute kidney failure" according to the ER doctor. I had a GFR of 4 and creatinine of over 1300 (a normal GFR is 60 and over and a normal creatinine 0.07-1.3 mg/dL) and was admitted to hospital in the hope to get my kidneys back to a point where we could finish the permanent ostomy/proctectomy surgery. Sooner than what my colorectal surgeon wanted but the perianal disease was healing nicely. It took two weeks in hospital for my kidneys to recover (thank goodness) to a point where my colorectal surgeon was comfortable enough to do the surgery.

It took 6 hours but that was because my surgeon painstakingly, millimeter by millimeter, separated my intestines from my abdominal wall that were attached from the dozens of previous abdominal surgeries. Too much scar tissue. I was in hospital for a month and 9 days for the temporary ostomy.

On this Ostomy Awareness Day and personally my 4 year "stomaversary", I can honestly say that I do not regret in any way getting the ostomy even though I had been avoiding it for almost a decade. I had been living in pain for 32 years (1988-2020) prior to the surgery and to be honest it is a strange feeling NOT feeling or expecting pain. There is also no more rushing to the toilet anymore. I have a new normal that took getting used to but totally doable and I have more freedom with the ostomy.

I would be remiss not thanking everyone who has been there for me over the many many years and their love and support, especially my wife and kids, but also the many nurses and health care providers who have a thankless job in my opinion and are not paid nearly enough.

Finally, my colorectal surgeon who has done an amazing job with the surgeries I have had with her. Not only is she an awesome surgeon, she is very personable and listens to my concerns without judgement which I am sure many of us have experienced the opposite. I cannot thank everyone enough.

My only regret..... I did not do the surgery sooner.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great human being. I am honoured to have you in my world.