Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Ostomy Surgery - Take Two

 It's been a hard few months, which is why I haven't posted since September and I apologize for that.

So, that last time I posted, I had had surgery for removal of a couple of peri anal abscesses and a temporary loop ostomy done. A lot has happened since then.

I was having too much output from my ostomy and I was becoming very weak, throwing up, dizzy and light headed. I requested my family doctor for some blood work because obviously something was not right. I got it done on the Friday before Halloween in the afternoon and by Saturday morning, my doctor called and told me to get to the hospital ASAP as I was in acute renal failure and there was a chance my kidneys could shut down. It was a scary thought and strange as I was not having any symptoms for renal failure, that I knew of anyway. No kidney pain, I was still urinating, clear flow, no fever or chills, I was drinking lots, nothing. My Creatinine levels after the blood work was 1068, normal is 45-110 and my GFR was 5, normal is 60-100. I had my wife call an ambulance. More bloodwork was done in the ER and my levels dropped more. I was so tired and worn out, I could barely move.

Two days later, my surgeon had me transferred to her hospital to tackle my kidneys and then have my final surgeries, make my ostomy permanent as well as a proctectomy (Barbie butt). It took about 10 days for my kidneys to recover to a point the doctors were happy enough for the surgery to go ahead. A lot of water and IV fluids. My surgery was set for November 13..... Friday the 13th.

Surgery went well, although it was over 6 hours. She was able to release some matted small bowel that was secured to my pelvic wall with scar tissue for previous surgeries. This gave me more length to help the ostomy. My rectum was removed and she found it was full of a pus like material most likely because of 30 years with peri anal disease. She did mention to me that looking through the small intestine I have left, she only found 2 inches of diseased bowel, so some good news. It was a very long surgery and was given 6 pints of blood, which I don't think I have ever had that much ever with all my surgeries. The ostomy was moved from the left side (temporary loop) to the right side. I have more scars added to my collection now with the temporary ostomy removed, vertical scar through my belly button beside my old scar and numerous laparoscopic scars.

I needed to stay in recovery for 3 days because of low blood pressure. They moved me to the HICU after 24 hours and remained there another couple of days before moving me back up to the ward. The hospital allowed my wife come visit me while in recovery which was very nice. With COVID restrictions, visitors are not allowed and she needed permission to visit. For some reason, I wasn't given an NG tube so of course after a couple of days I was throwing up bile...a lot of it. Back up in the ward, the dreaded NG tube had to be inserted. I don't normally have good experiences with the NG being inserted after surgery, but they gave me a smaller more flexible and it went in just fine, no problem, but still uncomfortable in my throat.

Slowly, and I mean slowly, I started to recover. Its taken longer than I expected but the proctectomy is taking forever to heal. Twenty seven days in hospital for this surgery and as of today, 19 days recovering at home. Every day is frustrating with one thing or another, whether that be my butt or the bag leaks. The flange leaks on either side with belly button on one side and an old scar on the other, very challenging. Another challenge is my kidneys. I have blood work once a week and my GFR and Creatinine have dropped, even though I drink a ton of water....apparently not enough. It's gone up in the right direction lately but the doctors are monitoring it carefully. I don't want to go back to before.

It's been a long 3 months so far, including my first surgery back in September, and I hope it's not another 3 months in recovery. Fingers crossed for a complication-free recovery.


3 comments:

Dad said...

Thank you Vernon for this message.
You know my heart is with you all the way on this journey.

You're such a stormtrooper; at the end of this tunnel you will see a wonderful life that you never perceived. I believe in you.

Thank you for being in my world!

Anonymous said...

Get well fast, then stay well! Did you notice how close to Markiplier's health story, and your post were to each other lol! Imagine #hepooped actual trending on Twitter haha! But I remember the occasional please-poop prayers, and once almost tearing up when they actually did (we'd placed the crash cart near their door!) You're not my first ostomy prayer either!

Vern Laine said...

thanks !!