Wednesday, December 30, 2020

A Different Kind of Christmas

 2020 has made Christmas different this year, for me and for everyone. 

Personally, 2020 will be remembered for my health. Not that it was bad, but a lot happened as far as trying to "fix" me. My colonoscopy results caused my GI to contact my surgeon to take a look. I needed to have another one months later and she was concerned enough to schedule surgery and finally give me the ostomy I was trying to avoid for my 32 years of Crohns. I was given a temporary ileostomy in September as well as peri anal abscess's removed in preparation for a permanent ostomy with proctectomy. That surgery was done in November after complications from the first surgery. I was in hospital for the month of November and am slowly recovering at home.

Christmas this year was different, but in a good way. For the first time in 32 years, I was able to actually enjoy Christmas dinner. I had a proper meal this year, I tried everything. I didn't have to pick through it. And you know what? I had no pain or discomfort. None.  I have not had that feeling since I was 19 years old, Christmas of 1987. I'm 52 now. There were even years I just plain missed Christmas all together.

So with all the bad things happening in 2020, I will remember it for what I COULD do and not what I couldn't. My surgeon, Dr. Elena Vikis, a colorectal surgeon, was fantastic and a miracle worker. It took 6 hours, but she was able to separate what was left of my small bowel and lengthen it, giving me more to attach to the ostomy. Millimeter by millimeter, she separated it from the mass of bowel and scar tissue. I could eat my food again with no pain. I'm not afraid to eat anymore. Having an ostomy, named "Squirt", gave me my life back and yes, I think to myself, "why didn't I do this sooner?" I cant thank my surgeon and her team enough. It's still a long road to fully recover (the Barbie butt is taking longer than I expected), but I'm on the right road.

Squirt gave me my life back.


3 comments:

Susan said...

Hope your recovery continues going well, glad you could enjoy a Christmas dinner. Here's wishing a very happy new year to you and your family too.

Barb Stewart said...

I'm so happy that you are feeling so much better.To be able to eat what you what has to be a big change for you.I hope that you healing goes along more quickly but you're on the right path.
Barb

Mangia said...

Very ccreative post