Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Travelling With Crohn's Disease

We are off on holiday for a week soon, so its time to get ready.
The key to travelling with Crohn's?   PLAN AHEAD
Each of us will have our own things to pack or plan.
First I had to book our travel in between my Remicade infusion and enough time to recover (as I always get tired for a day or two after).  With that done, I needed to make sure I had enough oral meds and in their own bottles with the information clearly marked.  I purchased extra travel insurance for someone with a pre existing condition.
We are renting a vehicle and we put my wife as the registered driver just in case either I have to cancel the trip OR something happens to me while away that I cant drive.
Packing is simple, just the usual items, though I also will pack a bed pad, just in case of an "accident" while sleeping. I'll pack all my underwear, for obvious reasons and add antiseptic cream and my "poo-pourii" spray to my toiletries.
The day of travel, I generally won't eat but drink alot of bottled water ( I can't drink tap water).  I will take  protein bar for the plane ride, but wont really eat anything until on the other side and at the hotel.  For this trip, that will be about 10 hours from the time I get up until we get to the hotel.  It's seems like a long time but I dont feel the hunger.  The thought of what "could" happen overrides the feeling of hunger.  After 30 years of living with Crohn's, I've gotten use to watching others eat while I eat nothing.
During the trip I will be very careful what I eat and drink.  If there is no bottled water, I will drink sparkling water, even though I hate the taste.  I don't drink alcohol so thats not a big problem. Things like Coke etc are mixed with water so I dont drink that unless it come directly from a can or bottle.
Food, I stick to what I know.  If I try something different, I ask alot of questions on what is in or on it.  I avoid dairy, so no cream sauces, etc. and no sour cream so I need to make sure they are not mixed in with the food.
And then do it all again for the trip back home.

Check out Healthline.com for tips on travelling with Crohn's

It would be nice to just go on vacation and not have to worry about anything, but this is the "norm" for me now.


No comments: